Happy New Years Eve!
Hello everyone! It’s your errant BlogBattle Admin Rachael here.
Wow. Just wow.
2020 hit hard and didn’t stop from beginning to end. BUT you’ve stuck with us and kept at your beloved writing craft throughout all the highs and lows, so that’s definitely something to celebrate. Congrats!
Did you reach any of your goals for the year? Which ones? Did you come close? What are your goals for 2021? Share in the comments below! For the new year, I’m looking forward to reaching my 2021 New Years Resolution summed up in one word: Prioritize. What’s your one-word New Years Resolution?
Speaking of goals, we’ve got some new ones ahead in 2021. A resolution of sorts. We want to make BlogBattle easier and continue to make it fun and useful, so we’re making a few changes that start in January. Tomorrow, in fact! We think you’re going to be happy with the slightly new setup. After we share that info we’d like your input on a couple of other bits!
First, the Changes . . .
- Not a change, but a reminder: we’re on Facebook, and we’re totally open to how you’d all like to interact there @BlogBattlers. There is also a private BlogBattlers Group on FB, but we haven’t used this, really, so I’m open for suggestions! What rules do you think are important for a group on FB?
- We are now on Instagram @BlogBattlers where we’ll post the monthly prompt and stories info. What else would you like to see on our IG? I hope you’ll take a minute to give us a follow there!
We’re only making five super changes to the way BlogBattle will work moving forward:
- We’ve got a new, easier URL to share
- blogbattlers.wordpress.com will still work and redirect to the new, shorter one
- Prompt Announcment Post is moving to the 1st Friday of every month.
- You’ll have 2 weeks to write your story.
- Stories need to be posted & linked by Midnight PST of the 3rd Friday of every month.
- This is the same date the Stories Post will go live.
- Stories Post is moving to noon PST on the 3rd Friday of every month (the date will be included with the prompt post).
- Word counts are changing!
- minimum 250 words
- maximum 2000 words
Yes! More words, and a concrete window for posts and plenty of time for reading!
Over the years, we’ve learned many of us find BlogBattle’s prompt inspiring in the construction of new chapters in current works in progress as well as for writing online serials and stand-alone short fiction. This is why we’re increasing the word count to up to 2000-ish words.
We also know that you are all capable of writing your stories on a tight timeframe, and we wanted to make sure everyone got a chance to take some time to read each other’s stories before the end of the month and a new word arrives, so the new timeline of 1st and 3rd Fridays gives 2 weeks to write a story and approximately 1-2 weeks to read the ones our fellow battlers post.
Your feedback on these changes is welcome! You can email us using the contact page.
Other New Years Ideas
Two things we’d like to have your feedback on right away.
- Would any of you be interested in joining a “BlogBattle Social Media Team” to share on your social media both the Word Prompt Announcement Post and the Stories Post each month? Incentive for this is that you’ll get to find out the next month’s word early! And, of course, continue to share yours and fellow battlers individual stories as you see fit!
- Who might be interested in the possiblity of starting up voting again? It would require a big commitment to not only read all the stories but to also be fair with our votes, not letting it become a popularity contest. With this, we’d each read all the stories for that month, and by the last day of the month we’d each vote on our top two favorites. Whoever receives the most votes would be “Top-Voted Story” for the month (announced the following prompt date).
- As an alternative, if this isn’t something feasible, would be to give each regular participant a week where we share about you and your writing. This would happen once a month and would likely involve a brief interview. If you think this sounds more fun and/or doable, please let us know!
And that’s about it for now! Leave your thoughts in the comments below or use the contact page to send an email instead! Either way works. 🙂 Thank you so much for your feedback and for being a part of BlogBattle!
Updated Basic Rules:
The Prompt Word will be given the First FRIDAY of every month.
Post your story by the 3rd Friday of the same month (this is the same date as the Stories post goes live, midnight PST).
- minimum 250 to 2000 words max (give or take a few)
- fictional tale (or true if you really want)
- Any genre that fits within PG-13 (or less)-type Content – let’s keep this family friendly!
- Your story must contain the randomly chosen word(s) and/or be centered around the word meaning in a way that shows it is clearly related.
- Go for the entertainment value!
- Put a link back to your #BlogBattle Short Story in the comments section
- Please tweet and otherwise share your battler buddies’ stories across social media.
- Use the hashtag #BlogBattle when tweeting all the stories so we can cross-share.
- Have fun!